Thursday, April 9, 2009

Babyin' the Old Corpus

So, I've returned to the world of the healthy -- well, sort of. After testing my "chest" with a serious set of sprint workouts on the bike yesterday, I feel like I've got the ol' wind back.

If only I could say the same for this pesky muscle on the right side of my back. I really ought to take a look at a muscle chart, because it doesn't feel like my back and it's a touch too high to be my gluteous. But, about fifteen times a day taking a step with my right foot feels like someone is pushing my hip bone right into the back of my ribcage. I think it is a back muscle of sorts, but what I know is that it's one of the few debilitating muscle injuries I've had in recent memory.

So, how does one accomplish an ironman length training program when he's walking like he just had hip surgery? Very carefully... in the case of today, by taking the day off from a swim workout and focusing on the fact that tomorrow was already a natural day off and two days' rest ought to make it possible to complete the long weekend workouts.

Eyes on the prize, I say -- and in the case of serious muscle issues, that means rest to as close to healing as you can before you push forward. I WILL be swimming my 2800 yards on Saturday -- that is non-negotiable. Until then? Slap on some back pads, keep the seat heater going in the car and stay off my feet... ahh, the things we do for sport. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment